Last updated on August 28, 2017
This Highlights section contains an overview of key points relating to your use of our services.
Information We Collect
We collect various information about you, your use of our services, and the MAC Addresses and Wireless Names you register including:
- Information you provide when you set up your account, use our services, or use third-party services that connect with us;
- Billing information;
- Information about your communications with us, how you use and access our services, and your actions and requests that you make when using our services;
- Information regarding the detection of your Wireless Names and MAC addresses that you use in your devices when they are detected by devices that interact with our services. In other words, if someone else’s device queries one of our registries about your Wireless Name or MAC address, we will collect information about that query;
- Information about the devices you use to access our services;
- Location information provided from you or collected from your device when you allow us to access that information;
- By using cookies and other technologies to collect information about your use of our services;
- Information from publicly or commercially available sources; and
- MAC addresses and Wireless Names that users provide to us (we do not collect this information directly from devices or networks); and
- Other information collected is listed: https://www.iubenda.com/privacy-policy/727745.
How We Use Information
We use information to:
- Provide you with services and personalize the content on our services based on your interests;
- Communicate with you about your account and registration, and, subject to your preferences, provide you with information about goods and services that may interest you and/or allow other users to communicate with you. If you allow others to communicate with you, we have no control over the information they send you;
- Manage your account, resolve disputes, and troubleshoot our services;
- Improve our product offerings;
- Protect our rights and the rights of others.
How We Share Information
Except as otherwise disclosed in this section we do not sell, rent, or otherwise share information that identifies you with third parties so that those third parties may use that information for their own purposes without your consent.
We share information:
- Such as, for example, your registered Wireless Name or MAC address for press releases and social media activities.
- With third parties, including service providers, that process information on our behalf and to provide you with services;
- With our corporate affiliates, parent companies, and subsidiaries;
- With other users when you attempt to communicate with other users or when you associate content with a Wireless Name;
- To facilitate a transfer of a business or related assets; when there is a legal obligation to disclose your information; or to protect our legal rights, the public, or others; and
- In a de-identified or anonymized manner for various purposes.
Note: GBL may release or publish any registered Wi-Fi network names (also known as Service Set Identifiers or SSIDs), names for Bluetooth devices, Zigbee identifiers, WiMax names, and other similarly wirelessly transmitted names (collectively, “Wireless Names”), or any registered Media Access Control address (“MAC address”) (a hardware device identifier that allows Wi-Fi and Bluetooth enabled devices to communicate wirelessly). In addition, any information that you or others choose to associate with a registered Wireless Name or MAC address may be publicly accessible on GBL's services or elsewhere.
You may access your account and update your user information and certain other information associated with your account by accessing the Settings menus on our websites and services.
You may be able to delete content associated with your Wireless Names or MAC addresses in the MAC Address Registry by accessing the content views associated with your account.
You can ask us to delete our logs reflecting queries sent to us when devices detect or otherwise interact with your Wireless Names or MAC addresses. To do so, contact us and you can ask us to delete our logs reflecting queries sent to us when devices detect or otherwise interact with your Wireless Names or MAC addresses. To do so, contact us at [email protected].
NOTE: When you post content or associate other information, such as social media account information with your account, including any MAC address or Wireless Name, and when others post or otherwise associate content with your account, MAC address or Wireless Name, that information may be publicly viewable.
We use reasonable security measures to protect your information.
Our services are not intended for children under 13.
We are not responsible for any third-party products or services you access via our websites or services.
How to Contact Us
What Information Do We Collect?
We collect information for various purposes when you use our services or otherwise interact with us. Here is a description of the information we may collect.
When you or others use or access our services, we may collect information about the location of your MAC addresses, devices using your Wireless Names, or devices you use to use or access our services. For example, our mobile apps may, subject to your permission, collect information from the location functionality of your mobile device. When another user or device “bumps into” your Wireless Name or MAC address, we may infer the location of your Wireless Name or MAC address based on the location of the other user or device. Some of the information you or others provide us may contain location information about you or your devices.
We will use the location information you provide us only to provide you with our services unless you consent to its use for other purposes.
When You Visit Our Web Sites
When you visit our web sites, we may collect information that you provide to us. What does that information include?
- Account Information: This information helps us establish and manage your account. It includes your name, email address, phone number, mailing address, username, and password.
- Profile Information: Once you have established an account, we may collect information that you choose to associate with your profile. That information could include a profile picture, a link to a website, contact information, or links to social media pages.
- Billing Information: When you sign up for services that require payment, we will collect information to facilitate payment such as your name, billing address, and credit or debit card or financial account payment information.
- Content: The content or links to content that you or others choose to associate with Wireless Names.
- Communications: When you communicate with us or others (registered account owners of Wireless Names or MAC addresses for example) through our services, we may collect the information that you provide in those communications.
- Mac Address or Wireless Name: To help you manage information associated with your MAC address or Wireless Name, we may ask you to provide your MAC address or Wireless Name along with information needed to create an account.
When you visit our websites, we may collect certain information automatically. What kind of information does that include?
- We will collect technical information about the device and browser you use to access our websites. This includes IP address, operating system, the domain name of your Internet Service Provider, your browser type, and device identifier.
- We may collect information about how you use our sites, including the pages you visit, where you click, the search terms you enter, and the websites you visit immediately before and after accessing our sites.
- We do not allow third parties to collect information about your activities on our website in order to track your online activity over time and across different websites. We may engage third-party service providers that act only on our behalf to collect information about your use of our website.
When You Use Our Mobile Apps
We may, from time to time, make certain mobile apps available so that you can access our services.
We may collect information that you provide to us when you register or use the app. That information includes, Account Information, Billing Information, Profile Information, Communications, content, MAC addresses, and Wireless Names.
We may also collect certain information automatically. That information may include the following:
- Information about your device’s manufacturer, IP address, the operating system, device identifiers, IP address, and the phone number associated with your device.
- We may collect information about how you use the app. This may include how often you use the app, when you use the app, and information about the content you view or submit using the app.
We may collect location information:
- When you provide us with your address, ZIP or Postal Code, or country, we may collect that location information.
- If you permit our apps to access location information, we may collect location information through the location functionality of your device. If you change your mind about such access, you can disable the location features of your device. We may also allow you to disable location collection through the Settings menu within the app.
When You Register a Wireless Name (such as a Wi-Fi SSID)
- To register a Wireless Name in the Wireless Name Registry, we will need to collect certain information from you.
- If you register a Wireless Name using our websites or mobile applications, we may collect information as we have described in the website and mobile app sections of this policy.
- When you register a Wireless Name, we will also collect your Wireless Name along with Account Information, Profile Information, and Billing Information, to facilitate your registration as the “registered owner” of the Wireless Name.
When You Register a MAC Address in the MAC Address Registry
- To register your MAC address in the MAC Address Registry, we will need to collect certain information from you.
- If you register a MAC address in the MAC Address Registry using our websites or mobile applications, we may collect information as we have described in the website and mobile app sections of this policy.
- When you register a MAC address in the MAC Address Registry, we will collect your MAC address along with Account Information, Profile Information, and Billing Information if applicable to facilitate your registration as the “registered owner” of the MAC Address.
When You Associate Content with Wireless Names or MAC addresses
- You can associate content (e.g., text, pictures, links to web pages or stored files, or other information) with Wireless Names and MAC addresses (yours or those belonging to others). You may do so using our websites, our mobile apps, or third-party apps or websites that access our registry. Associating content means that information may be publicly visible and accessible to third parties. When you use our websites or mobile apps, we will collect information as disclosed in the website and mobile app sections of this Policy.
- We collect the content that you associate with Wireless Names and MAC addresses. We may also collect information about the types of content you post, when you post them, and other information about how you post content.
- Content is recorded in our registry of Wireless Names or our registry of MAC addresses, as appropriate, and is not stored on the devices using those Wireless Names or MAC addresses.
- If you associate content with a Wireless Name or MAC address that is not registered to you, the registered owner may be able to delete the content. The owner will be able to delete only that information that you provide us. So if you submit a link to a picture, the owner of the Wireless Name or MAC address will be able to delete the link, but not the picture itself.
- You may be able to associate your social media profile or other information in registered accounts with your MAC address or Wireless Name. Doing so may make such information publicly visible and accessible by third parties. At our discretion, in some cases, we may take steps to verify that you are authorized to access the profile or information in question. Please refer to the Terms of Service available which are available on our website or withing the mobile applications, to review your obligations regarding the use of our services, including your obligations when associating content with Wireless Names or MAC addresses.
When Other People Associate Content to Wireless Names or MAC addresses You Have Registered or About or Concerning You
Other people may choose to associate content with a Wireless Name or MAC address that you have registered, and they may choose to associate content containing information about you to the Wireless Names or MAC addresses registered to you or others. We do not control what content other people choose to associate with Wireless Names and MAC addresses, and any such content may be viewed by other users. You may be able to contact the registered Wireless Name owner with any questions or issues you have regarding the content associated with a particular Wireless Name or MAC address by clicking on the Message Owner button associated with the Wireless Name on our web sites or mobile apps. We do not guarantee that the contact information associated with a MAC address or Wireless Name is accurate. You may be able to delete information associated with your registered Wireless Names and MAC addresses by accessing your account content views
When We Combine Information with Third Party Information
We may enhance the information we collect about you with information lawfully obtained from third party data suppliers.
When You Contact Us
You may be able to contact us via our websites, mobile apps, or by phone. If you do so, we will collect information that you provide to us. We may record any phone conversations you have with us in order to improve customer service and resolve disputes.
How Do We Use the Information that We Collect
- We use the information to provide you with services, including registering your Wireless Name, associating content to Wireless Names, and managing your account.
- We use information to communicate with you about your account and, subject to your consent, to provide you with information about goods and services that may be of interest to you.
- If you are a registered owner of an account, we also facilitate communications to you from third parties. We disclose your personal information only as set forth in the “How Do We Share the Information that We Collection” section below. Registered owners of Wireless Names and MAC addresses may choose to provide email addresses to which others may send messages. We do not display the registered owners’ email addresses on our services unless users choose to display that information.
- We may use the information we collect to personalize content on our sites based on your interests.
- We use the information to process payments, resolve disputes, and troubleshoot our services, websites, and mobile apps.
- We may use the information to better understand how people use our services, for research, or to improve our offerings.
- We may also use the information we collect to detect, prevent, and respond to fraudulent activities, unlawful activities, violations of our terms of service, or other misuse of our services.
- We may also share information in ways to which you have consented.
How Do We Share the Information that We Collect
- We share information with service providers that perform services on our behalf. Service providers include payment processors, storage providers, and website hosts, and they are not permitted to use any information that reasonably identifies you for their own marketing purposes.
- We may share information to help you communicate with other users of our services. For example, we may allow you to use our websites or mobile apps to send messages to the email addresses associated with registered Wireless Name or MAC address owners. When we do so, we will facilitate the forwarding of the information you provide to the associated address.
- We share the content you post. We may share or publicly publish or list the Wireless Names or MAC addresses your register and any content may be associated with Wireless Names or MAC addresses and displayed on publicly available content views provided by us, on our websites or mobile applications, or on third party services. When you post content, that content may be publicly available. Your content may be searchable by search engines, and our application programming interfaces (“APIs”) may broadcast your content to a broad range of users, including third party mobile application providers. We recommend that you carefully consider whether to post content before doing so.
- We share information as required by law, such as to comply with subpoenas, warrants, court orders, reporting obligations, or other legal requests.
- We may share information when we have a good faith belief that the sharing is necessary to protect our rights, to protect your safety or the safety of others, to detect, prevent, or respond to fraud, intellectual property infringement, violations of our Terms of Service, violations of law, or other misuse of our services.
- We may share information as reasonably necessary to proceed with the negotiation or completion of a merger, acquisition, or sale of all or a portion of our assets.
- We may aggregate your information with information relating to other individuals and de-identify it, anonymize your information even if not aggregated and de-identified, or take other steps to help ensure that the information can no longer reasonably identify you. If we do so, we may share such information with any party for any purpose.
- We may also share information in ways to which you have consented.
- Content may link to content provided by third parties, including websites and mobile applications operated by third parties. We are not responsible for the collection and use of your information by the websites or other services that are not under our control. We encourage you to review the privacy policies associated with all of the third-party services that you use. We also may use features from third party services, such as allowing you to create an account or to log on to your account through a social media service or similar tool, such as Log in with Facebook or Sign in with Twitter (whether the use of such tools to sign in is optional or mandatory). Any information that these third-party social media services collect as a function of your using those sign-in tools is subject to those respective entities’ own privacy policies.
- If you choose to associate an email address with your Wireless Names or MAC address so that third parties may contact you, we will facilitate the delivery of messages to the email address you provide. We do not screen those messages and have no control over the messages you may receive.
Where Do We Store Information?
- We will handle and store the information we collect via our services in and subject to the laws of the United States. The United States may not provide the same protections for your personal information as your home country. Information stored in the United States may be available to the United States government or its agencies under lawful requests made in the United States. We may transfer your information outside the United States to our affiliates, business partners, and service providers located in other countries. By using our services, you agree that we may transfer your information to and process your information in the United States and these other countries.
Security of Your Information
- We maintain reasonable administrative, technical, and physical safeguards designed to safeguard the information that we collect. No information system can be 100% secure, so we cannot guarantee the absolute security of your information. We are not responsible for the security of information you transmit to us over networks that we do not control, including the Internet and wireless networks.
- Our services are not directed to, nor do we knowingly collect information from, children under the age of 13. If you believe that your child or any child under your care has provided us with information without your consent, please contact us at the contact information listed below.
Access to Your Information
- You may access your account and update your Profile Information and certain other information associated with your account by accessing the Settings menus on our websites. You may be able to delete content associated with the Wireless Names you have registered by accessing the content views associated with your account.